Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shameless!


Do you know where this is? This is the JFK Library and Museum. It is in Boston and it is quite near UMass Boston. UMass Boston is where Marie used to go swimming as a reward for good behavior when she lived at a residential program, prior to her adoption.

Like how I connected the two?

Over 50 years ago, President John Kennedy wrote a book that he won a Pulitizer Prize for. The name of that book was "Profiles In Courage". Please forgive me that I am not an expert on this book. I am only now learning about it but I know that every year there are awards given to people in the spirit of this book.

Just wait.....I think it is worth the build up!

A week ago we received a letter from Marie's school letting us know about their little "graduation" that was going to be held the last day of school. I actually had to work today and I wasn't sure I could leave work to be there...I mean give me a break....it is just 8th grade Graduation.....I didn't have an 8th grade graduation and I survived!

Marie's teacher was quite persistent with insisting that one if not both of us should come check it out. It would be nice to get a picture or two. She was gonna get an award of some sort. She is a hard worker so I was figuring she would get some kind of most improved award. My guess was Science because she just isn't that into Science and we had lots of extra help sessions for Science....40 mins in and the science award done...I scanned the rest of the awards....She doesn't do sports, doesn't do anything in an organization because she is too bossy....

The only other award left was the "Profiles in Courage" award...which happened to be presented by this teacher that really wanted us there... Their definition of the Profile in Courage award was someone that showed extraordinary commitment to academics, always worked to their full potential, assisted others to work to their full potential, while also overcoming the obstacles that were placed in front of them. Hey that is my kid.....

Side story....Marie love, love, love, loves school..... She hates the summer and really starts the countdown for school to begin in June. This isn't even the story...But she has a significant learning disability and she got her teachers to give her the workbooks so she could spend the summer improving her skills....so she doesn't need to have any special ed services....I admire her will....The story is...My birthday was the first day of school last year. My sister had spent the night and we, being mature adults, didn't go to sleep till like 2am....So I was just about to go into REM sleep when I feel pressure on my nose...My eyes open to Marie's nose touching mine...Her big brown eyes dancing right in front of me....

"Mommy....I look awesome!" Have I mentioned how loud she is...

I took the palm of my hand and pushed her forehead back a few feet....Slightly reopened my eyes again to look at the clock...It was 4:05 am.....

"Soooo....when can I go outside and wait for the bus?"

"um....you need to go away...no you can't go outside and wait for the bus....the rest of America is still asleep...."

"So not now...I don't want to miss the bus....I can't miss my first day"

"um nerd girl....go take a nap on the couch...and leave the backpack here....you can't nap while having a backpack on your back"

she grunted and left the backpack...Although, once my eyes closed, she quietly came back into my bedroom to get the backpack...she had to label all of her folders, organize her pencils, and put every one of the 30 pkgs of loose leaf paper into her 7 binders that she just had to take to JR High.....She is dedicated!

I have a million stories about Marie and school. She has always loved school as long as I have known her. And she has also overcome some amazing obstacles to be where she is. She has scratched and clawed for every achievement she has earned.

Today she was recognized for all of her effort. I cry every time I speak about this. I am just so very proud of her. She apologized that she didn't get more awards....This award is so much more meaningful than any other award on that sheet of paper. So it may be annoying that you have already heard this and you may hear about it again. But MY KID ROCKS! She is just such a brave kid. She worked so hard to get to where she is. Actually if I am truly honest. She, my husband, and I have all worked so hard for her to be here. And it was a sign from God that it has all been worth it. and MY KID ROCKS....

Remember this next week when I am off my high!

Have a great night.....

I will get to jumping jacks soon...Right now I am still basking in the good things!=)

No comments: